Monday, May 12, 2008

SEC Football, A Great Icebreaker


I would like to think that there are a number of topics that I could conversate on fairly well. However, being that I'm a sportsfan anything related to sports is obviously much more in my comfort zone. And seeing as how I'm a college football fan, especially SEC football, anything falling within that realm is pretty easy for me to talk about. Which is a good thing when you meet someone(read: someone whose opinion of you is important) for the first time who is also an SEC football fan.

Going into the situation I knew that the other person was an Auburn graduate, and figured that they were probably a fan of Auburn Tigers football. So, I decided that the best thing to do was to let them know that I was a graduate of the University of Florida. Of course, the first thing I got in response was a reminder that the Tigers had defeated the Gators the past two seasons. Though, it was obviously good-natured. Just two SEC football fans interacting the way we do.

From there, the conversation lead to Tebow, Tray Blackmon, spread offenses, Al Borges' departure and Auburn's quarterback situation. Topics that, to other people, probably seem mundane, but are of the utmost importance to the two fans of those respective teams. Eventually, the conversation moved along to other topics, but that shared enthusiasm for SEC football definitely got it off to a good start.

You see, finding someone to discuss any aspect of college football with during the offseason is a very welcome thing, but when it's with someone whose opinion you value it's great to have that as a lead-in to other, more important(yes SEC football fans, there are more important things...gasp), topics.

No comments: