Monday, July 03, 2006

Buffalo Springfield Foreshadowing Sports Related Occurences?

I'm sure many of you have heard the song by Buffalo Springfield titled "For What It's Worth". In case your memory needs some assistance in recalling it here's the chorus:

I think it's time we stop, children, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down

I've heard the song many times, but when I heard it again the other day something caught my attention. No, it wasn't the wonderful humming. It was a particular line that seemed a bit prophetic to me.

What a field-day for the heat
A thousand people in the street
Singing songs and carrying signs
Mostly say, hooray for our side


Instantly I thought of the Miami Heat, and the victory parade that followed them winning the NBA title. Forty years after the song had been written the Heat were indeed having a "field day" with thousands of people in the streets.

Believing that this was no coincidence, I decided to dig a bit deeper into the song.

The first verse contains the lyrics:

There's a man with a gun over there
Telling me I got to beware


Could this be alluding to Chris Henry's brush with the law in Orlando in January? Perhaps he wasn't engaged in an argument with someone when he pulled out his Luger. Maybe he was trying to warn them about the overpriced churros at Epcot.

Towards the end of the song there's another verse that seems to apply to current sports related events.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
You step out of line, the man come and take you away


Obviously this has to be referring to Darren Daulton. He seems to have falled off of his rocker, and down into a giant wormhole of weirdness. He also comes off as being a bit paranoid. Perhaps he should listen to what Stephen Stills is trying to tell him about the man coming and taking him away. Though, if they did have to pick up Mr. Daulton I bet you he would be wearing a hat made of tinfoil.

No comments: