Wednesday, November 07, 2007

PacMan Gives Back To The Community One Wrestling Event At A Time

Last Friday, I told you about PacMan Jones meeting with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to discuss his suspension and possible early reinstatement. I stated that I didn't think PacMan would be reinstated because of his ongoing legal woes, but it turns out that it might have been for a different reason.

About a month ago, PacMan told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he felt he had done enough to warrant an early reinstatement.

"I think I did enough. I did pretty much everything Mr. Goodell asked me to do. So, all I can do is just wait and go back to speak with him," Jones said in an interview in Sunday's editions of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Jones said he's been using the time to restore his image. He also has two felony coercion charges pending against him in Las Vegas for a strip club fight and triple shooting on Feb. 19.

"I'm just staying to myself, taking this time out to worry about things I need to do better as a person -- whatever I got to do in the community, whatever I have to do to better my image as a person so I can get back on the field," he said Friday.

So, what did PacMan, a player who is willing to do whatever it takes in the community, do to help his case?

He bought wrestling tickets.

For Atlanta students to watch him wrestle.
Jones had met with the commissioner last week in New York, pleading for some leniency and an early return. But the cornerback whose biggest community service was buying wrestling tickets for Atlanta students to watch him at a pay-per-view event last month didn't convince Goodell.

If there was any doubt as to why PacMan's legal woes have become what they are that should erase most of it. He had the opportunity to show Commissioner Goodell with actions, not words, that he was serious about helping his community and getting reinstated in to the NFL. In fact, it reminds me of something he said during his wrestling appearance.
"You talk a lot. But one thing about me, I don't talk the talk, I walk the walk."

Yeah, and that walking is going to be done away from the football field for the remainder of the NFL season.

No comments: