Thursday, November 15, 2007

Welcome Back Ricky Ganja, Please Don't Screw My Fantasy Team


As you may have heard, Ricky Williams has been reinstated by the NFL. Up to this point, Dolphins Coach Cam Cameron has not made any statements regarding what the organization plans to do with Williams. They have a two week roster exemption from the time he begins practicing, and the earliest that he could play in a game would be the Monday nighter against Pittsburgh. As a Dolphins fan, and fantasy football participant, I'm torn as to whether I want to see him on the field at all this season.

Right now, the Dolphins are 0-9, and in line to get the #1 pick in the 2008 NFL draft. There are no chances of making the playoffs, and with how awful the team has been this year they need all the help they can get via the draft and free agency. Yes, their star running back, Ronnie Brown, had his season ended early by a torn ACL. And while it would be nice to see what Williams has "left in the tank", backup running back Jesse Chatman has shown that he's capable of running the ball quite well. In case you haven't noticed, this is where my fantasy football angle comes into play.

You see, I needed running back help bad on one of my fantasy teams. It's in a league that I won back-to-back a few years ago, but failed to make the playoffs last year. This season I'm poised to return to the playoffs, and was counting on Chatman to contribute in some form or fashion. With Williams returning to the Dolphins that's now in jeopardy, and since it's the Dolphins, and they've screwed most everything else up over the past few years(cough*Ted Ginn*cough), I'm pretty sure they'll do the same in this situation. I've pretty much prepared myself for Miami to play Williams, for him to steal some TD's from Chatman, for Miami to win some games and for them to lose the #1 pick. It's ok though, I'm a Dolphins fan so I'm used to being disappointed.

No comments: