Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Is Having Clemens At Their Pitching Camp The Best Decision?

Updating an earlier post, Roger Clemens decided to attend the Houston Astros' mini-camp that starts today. Apparently he's looking forward to speaking with the Astros' prospects, though there's no word on whether that will include tips on taking injections and denying published reports.

The Astros kept an open invitation for Clemens to participate in the minicamp, a precursor to spring training next month. Clemens planned to throw batting practice and talk to the Astros prospects.

"I'm doing everything I love to do. I mean, I'm not going anywhere," he said. "So I love to do these things, and the Astros and the other teams that I've worked with have always been real supportive. And like I said, if I can share any insight to these young kids at this level while they're trying to reach their goals, reach their dreams, it's all the more better."

Honestly, I am a bit surprised that the Astros invited Clemens to the camp. I understand that his presence is a huge draw, but it also seems to be something that could blow up in their face. Right now, the Clemens talk has died down, but with Andy Pettite prepared to corroborate Brian McNamee's statements next Monday the "Clemens did steroids" hype machine is about to get back into fullswing. Just in time for the Astros to have to field questions about why they invited him to the camp this year. To me, it just seems like a situation that is just waiting to become a problem for Houston, and one that could have been easily avoided.

No comments: